If you’ve landed on this page, you’re probably looking for an answer to the question of who an SEO specialist is? Creating a short definition of this job seems to be quite difficult. In a nutshell, the Search Engine Optimization Specialist analyzes websites and implements appropriate changes to websites, making them optimized for search engines.
Simply put, the task of an SEO specialist is to make your site appear at the top of the search results. However, such a definition doesn’t exactly cover what this job really is. An SEO specialist is a person who will be able to plan and ensure successful implementation of SEO campaigns and content marketing campaigns (including technical SEO, website optimization, content creation, outreach, and PR).
He is also able to properly communicate with the team and report his tasks. He will also make sure that projects are delivered on time and in accordance with the budget through the implementation of their own tasks and intelligent delegation.
However, this is partly the answer to the question of what an SEO specialist really does.
WHAT DOES AN SEO SPECIALIST DO?
The primary goal of an SEO specialist is the same as for any marketing specialist – increasing sales in the online channel. Of course, as in any profession, such a person should have the appropriate skills of an SEO specialist.
WHAT ARE THE SEO SPECIALIST SKILLS?
Without breaking down to the specific tasks of an SEO specialist, we can distinguish basic features that should be sought when employing an SEO specialist.
Without breaking down to the specific tasks of an SEO specialist, we can distinguish basic skills that should be sought when employing an SEO specialist.
- Technical and programming skills
- Analytical skills
- Determination, motivation, and fast adaptation
- Consistency and regularity
If we would like to break down the specialist SEO skills into larger details, it would definitely be:
- Knowledge of issues related to the functioning of websites with particular emphasis on databases, rendering, transmission;
- An accurate understanding of various content management systems such as WordPress, Drupal and Magento, Presta and popular SASSa services;
- Proficiency in all SEO programs (Screaming Frog, DeepCrawl, SEM Rush, AWR, etc.)
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel (e.g. vlookups, pivot tables, advanced formulas)
- Very fluent in Google Analytics, Google Search Console and Google Tag Manager.
- Excellent organizational skills and time management,
HOW TO RECOGNIZE A GOOD SEO SPECIALIST?
WHAT ARE THE TASKS OF AN SEO SPECIALIST?
An SEO expert learns his craft all his life because the rules and requirements for this profession are in a state of constant evolution. It should also be remembered that the tasks they face differ in the case of specialization and level of experience. For example, tasks of the SEO technical manager and junior SEO outreach specialist differ significantly. I did not use such a distinction and choose the most common staff associated with the daily work of the positioner.
- Technical analysis (website speed, mobile-friendliness, crawl budget optimization, sitemap administration);
- Creating audits and implementing appropriate fixes (implementation and optimization of titles, meta tags, descriptions, appropriate URL redirections, handling page errors);
- Creating appropriate website structures and working on friendly navigation;
- Cooperation with the department responsible for the content (implementation of content on the site and its optimization). Seo copywriting is a very important aspect here;
- Creating Link Building strategies;
- Negotiating contracts with agencies and sellers;
- Creating SEO reports;
- Team management;
- Analysis of competition and effectiveness of conducted activities;
HOW TO BECOME A SEO SPECIALIST?
SEO Specialist career is a good choice for people who are technical and have excellent analytical and marketing skills necessary to work in this interesting job. From a historical perspective, this is a very young profession. In addition, it is also not closely associated with any of the scientific fields. Many people classify it as a branch of marketing, others associate it with computer science. To begin the adventure with SEO nowadays, first and foremost, you need to learn the basic knowledge of search engines. For this you need a basic knowledge of IT issues related to creating websites, servers, the functioning of scripts, and functioning of Google robots.
There are also many opposing opinions about the most effective SEO practices because no one really knows how Google algorithms work. Successful SEO tasks also require practitioners to have a good idea of how to research and analyze sites to see the results of their efforts.
WHAT ARE THE SPECIALIZATIONS IN THE SEO INDUSTRY?
- SEO Manager (Specialist in managing the SEO team),
- SEO Account Specialist (SEO client supervisor),
- SEO Technical Analyst / SEO Analyst (SEO Technical Specialist),
- SEO Link Building Specialist / SEO Outreach Specialist (SEO specialist for link building),
- SEO Content Specialist (SEO content specialist),
- SEO Ecommerce Specialist (SEO specialist – Ecommerce).
WHAT TYPE OF EDUCATION IS THE MOST COMMON?
- Data Analyst
- (IT) Informatics
- Public Relations
WHAT TOOLS DO A SEO SPECIALIST USE?
To properly use their potential, every SEO professional must be armed with the right set of tools. They can be divided into several categories, and the SEO specialist’s tools themselves can be very different. They can be divided into tools for backlink analysis, technical analysis, tools supporting keyword research as well as for analysis of competition.
WHAT IS SEO COPYWRITING?
SEO copywriting involves creating useful, attractive and valuable content that is targeted to specific keywords. This increases the authority of the content and its relevance and improves its position on Google for selected keywords. SEO copywriting helps to target customers and solve their specific problems using well-crafted content.